Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Fresh Start!


Blog #1 January, 23rd, 2016

Aloha, all,
 

I decided to write my first blog entry about our current experience on a de-toxifying liver cleanse!  Almost everyone we know would love to drop a few pounds and eat a healthier diet or at the very minimum, feel better.

Today marks the 24th day of our “liver cleansing” diet.  So far, so good.  For literally years I have had chronic belly issues exacerbated by stress and apparently, food allergies.  At a particularly challenging time last summer when diarrhea was clearly my “normal”, I went to see my naturopath who I trust and love.  Over a long period of time, years really, I kept adjusting my diet, trying different ways of eating, meditating and reflecting on my belly to no avail.  Sometimes we need a little heroic, professional support.  Call it pride or stubbornness – I had been determined to resolve this on my own.  Finally, I succumbed to a full food allergy panel that tested three body systems:

IgA:  nose, digestive, ears, eyes, vagina – protects from outside, foreign substances
IgE:  lungs, skin, mucous membranes – pollen, fungus, spores, animal dander
IgG: found in all body fluids – fights bacterial and viral infections

Allergies, indeed.  All dairy, including eggs, were added to my “Can’t Have” list, as well as wheat (gluten), broccoli, cabbage, night shades like bell peppers, tomatoes and eggplants and of course, any and all processed food.  Interestingly, eliminating bread and dairy were not as hard to give up as I had imagined.  On the liver cleansing diet good quality bread is recommended as well as all the vegetables I can’t eat.

So far I’ve also dropped significant weight after deciding to try a liver cleanse.  Following the protocol of Australian physician, Sandra Cabot (www.liverdoctor.com) , has proven successful for my husband, Tony and me.  However, the recipes in her book don’t suit us.  I get the sense that she allows canned and frozen food in an effort to make it easier for people to stay on the path.  She is quite tolerant of alcohol after the initial 8 weeks, especially red wine, which my doctor said, was a healthy choice, in moderation!  We chose a 6 week cleansing period because it will end on Valentine’s Day ❤ and Tony and I will have a special dinner together with wine or not, depending on how I feel and how my attitude has shifted.  We are also hosting two of our favorite people who are coming from the mainland and I don’t want to feel locked into a diet during their stay.  We are, however, going to adopt “Pereto’s 80/20 principle” after our cleansing period.  (Google that!)  Eighty per cent of the time we will be faithful to our new eating regime and allow a little indulgence for the remaining twenty per cent ~ a glass of wine for me and for Tony, definitely something sweet!  The 20% translates to about 1.5 days per week to eat out or have a little treat.  We will avoid processed food indefinitely.

We are eating mostly dark, leafy greens, salads, soups and protein.  I love lentils and soups and I highly recommend good bone broth as a base. Tony is a meat eater and has been eating good quality chicken and beef during weeks one and two.  He finds it impossible to avoid meat so made the personal decision to continue eating organic eggs and chicken beyond Week 2.  My personal opinion about this is that each of us is unique and on some level we have to honor what we believe is best for ourselves.  The big sacrifice for Tony was sugar and he has been amazingly faithful to resisting all things sweet.  I used to bring home the odd piece of pie, tapioca pudding or chocolate from the health food store – killing him with kindness and not a great health strategy!

And now, the results thus far: 

•    Week 1 -  lost 3.8 pounds
•    Week 2 -  0.6 pounds
•    Week 3 -  5 pounds
•    Total Loss following Week 3:  9.4 pounds!

As we enter Week 4, I am feeling stronger and my naturopath recently said I was looking better and that my eyes were clear and bright.  Three more weeks …  Remember, the liver cleansing de-tox diet is not really about losing weight but rather a goal to clean up this very special organ that works so hard to keep us healthy.  Weight loss is a side benefit.  My friend, who is already pretty slender has lost about 8 pounds total and is stabilized there.  You only lose what you need to lose.

So much of our success has been around being mentally “ready” and having the “willingness” to suffer a little and do the work.  If the liver cleansing diet interests you, drop me a line if you need encouragement and/or a little moral support!  If you think this blog might benefit someone you love, please pass it along.

Until next time, be good to yourself!

“ You may have a fresh start at any moment you choose, for this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.” ~ Mary Pickford ~

Warm alohas, Sandra


                                                            Morning Glory!

References:

Sandra Cabot, M.D.  The Liver Cleansing Diet. Courier Graphics Corporation, Phoenix, AZ. 2008. www.liverdoctor.com



The Mayo Clinic.  www.mayoclinic.org

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Can't wait for your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Sandra! I will be checking this out.

    ReplyDelete